Ingestion of rhubarb leaves produces a variety of rhubarb-leaf-poisoning symptoms. This is because of the substance called oxalate found in these toxic-leaves.

It is said that a phenomenal amount of rhubarb leaves would have to be consumed to make a person sick. And, it does seem to be common knowledge throughout the general population that only the stalks of the rhubarb plant can be eaten. Noticeably, rhubarb stalks arrive at marketplaces with the leaves hacked off beforehand.

However, for those who are unaware, the leaves contain poisonous oxalates that are absorbed into the bloodstream and cause damage, and I don't think it is a good idea to tempt fate!

Crystal-oxalates can cause severe damage to kidneys.

Symptoms of oxalate poisoning can include vomiting, nausea, difficulty in breathing, burning throat, stomach pain, diarrhea and seizures.

Extreme cases can lead to the above mentioned kidney damage and kidney stones and some cases can be fatal though rare.

If such a condition is suspected, contact Poison Control or better yet, get to a hospital emergency department. They will monitor all vital signs and perhaps induce vomiting and then medicate to treat the symptoms.

Most people know better than to consume rhubarb leaves. Animals however are unpredictable and your pet can display some of the same symptoms from rhubarb-leaf-poisoning.

These symptoms can be displayed in the form of excessive salivation, vomiting, staggering, obvious abdominal pain and actual convulsions.

There are instructions available on how to induce vomiting in a case of animal poisoning by giving spoonfuls of syrup of ipecac or a combination of hydrogen peroxide and water at certain intervals. This is to prevent the quick travel of the oxalates to the bloodstream.

If you think you can accomplish this with your pet, then it is an option for you.

I'm not sure I could or would want to attempt it myself.

Animals are unpredictable at the best of times and can quickly bite especially when so distressed.

I think getting your pet to the Veterinarian as quickly as possible is the best course of action if any type of plant poisoning is suspected. And, we all just want the best for our pets.

Certainly we need to be careful about what we plant or at least what kind of access our pets have to our gardens.

Elizabeth Orr, EzineArticles.com Basic Author

Listen to the opinion of one Vet in regard to toxic-plants and other toxins around your garden.

Definately educate your children about the hazards of certain plants, and remember how they can harm your pets.

Be sure to visit Natural Cat Health Remedies , a great site offering information on holistic natural health for your cat.

Having Trouble Training Your Dog? This May Help

Return To Rhubarb Harvest

Leave Rhubarb-Leaf-Poisoning
Return To Savor The Rhubarb Home Page

Share this page:
Enjoy this page? Please pay it forward. Here's how...

Would you prefer to share this page with others by linking to it?

  1. Click on the HTML link code below.
  2. Copy and paste it, adding a note of your own, into your blog, a Web page, forums, a blog comment, your Facebook account, or anywhere that someone would find this page valuable.


Enter your E-mail Address
Enter your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Rhubarb Lovers.

Sharing Your Thoughts

Best Recipe

Rhubarb Stories

The Rhubarb Sisters

Rhubarb The Dog

Rhubarb Know-How

rhubarb in basket

rhubarb and gin cocktail

Rhubarb Gin Cocktail
Made it myself! Try one.

Protected by Copyscape Online Plagiarism Tool